Tuesday, July 9, 2013

lucky gal.

If you've been reading along for awhile, this will be old hat. But I feel the need to say once more...my job is weird and awesome. Here are things I've done today:

1. There's a local opera singer about my age. She needs a space to rehearse several nights a week. She can't afford rent, so we've figured out a trade. She'll help lead music and solo at Zion once a month. Won't THAT be interesting?

2. I tried to explain to a Somali woman that morning ESL classes are at the bank a few blocks away. We host the evening classes. She didn't understand, so I walked her to the bank. Then I realized I had a check in my wallet I could deposit. Double win.

3. I watered rose bushes.


4. I made the weirdest bulletin I've ever made. Tomorrow night, Recovery Worship is moving outside under a tree. We'll have a fire pit. We'll burn our written confessions and prayers until they rise like incense. We'll sing and dance to the drums of The Little Thunderbirds, an American Indian Drum Troupe made up of a local dad and his kids. This service has been living in my head for months and it's clear others are nodding and smiling, letting Meta try something random that might be a beautiful bust. It will be fun to see how tomorrow night comes together...or doesn't.

5. I planned a funeral with a family. When there is so much pain for so long, this part is filled with relief and comfort. My head and heart are filled with family systems and resurrection. Tomorrow my belly will be filled with funeral food - yum.

6. I hid things in the dumpster. I do this a lot when no one is looking. Churches have pack rat tendencies, but I'm happy to say goodbye to the 1950s staples, the outdated spices, and the broken hoola hoops in my office closet.

7. I wrote letters. I do this when people disappear for the summer. It's not a guilt trip - it's to make sure they know they are loved and noted. (Pun not intended, but awesome. "Consider yourself noted - boom.")

8. I looked at a list of things I probably have time for today. There are a few hours without meetings and I could tackle one or two of them. But instead I read Proverbs. I'm preaching Proverbs right now and it's strange, hard, lovely stuff. Wisdom Literature trumps List today.

9. I answered the phone a lot. My Parish Administrator's phone does not ring, so she only picks up if she can hear mine in the distance or if she happens to see the light flashing. We are getting bids for a new system, but until then I get to surprise people and have new conversations. (But seriously, it's also annoying, so feel free to send me a check for a new phone system.)

10. I got hungry and dug into Jasper's snack drawer. One of the big drawers in my desk is filled with Goldfish crackers and applesauce pouches instead of files. Classy. I was reminded of how lucky I am to have a snack drawer. That implies that, despite the heavy load and long hours, I have personal space and the flexibility to have my child here sometimes. I found a few Hot Wheels cars in the bottom of the drawer and smiled.

Not a bad deal, this gig. I'm a lucky gal.

No comments: