Tuesday, October 2, 2012

so you're saying he has friends...

Jasper is a month into his new daycare routine. Mondays and Tuesdays are at my former congregation. It's an amazing daycare center we call "school" since he'll probably go to preschool there, too.

It's been a rough adjustment. He whines and clings during drop off, but they say he's having a good time during the day. He's learning to eat at a table and nap on a cot and play with other kids, but whenever Matt and I see him at the end of the day, he's playing by himself. He's interested in babies and older kids, but tends to keep to himself around other toddlers. As new parents, this makes us nervous about his social skills...and by us, I mean me.  In an effort to be the most awesome, laid back, and casual parent, I mentally micromanage this quirk of his while pretending it's no big deal.

I know. It really is no big deal. Until one day you husband picks up your kid and his day sheet says things like "aggressive", "needed extra attention", "took toys from another kid", and the kicker: "bit his friends".

His saint of a teacher told Matt not to worry - it was one day and probably just one bite.

I was in shock while I watched Jasper pull out all his toys in the living room. He did seem fragile and frustrated today. What am I supposed to do right now? What do good parents do when their kids bite other kids? Oh, Lord. A kid went home from daycare today with a bite mark - because of my kid! When I meet other parents at this Halloween party, will they know me as the mom of the biter? 

"Jasper, did you have a hard day today? Were you sad and frustrated at school?"

What am I doing? He has no idea what I'm talking about. Sigh.

I stewed and overanalyzed and thought about all my amazing friends and family members who bit people as small children. Then I had a glass of wine. And then, through the haze of my cabernet, I spotted the silver lining of this report card:

..."bit his friends"...

So you're saying he has friends...score.

3 comments:

Meta Herrick Carlson said...

And boy...did this post make me feel better. God bless this honest writer and every honest woman who commented on her confession!

http://agracefuldisaster.blogspot.com/2012/05/when-my-kid-hits-your-kid.html

Helen Louise Clarke said...

Meta, this was hilarious (the end) and terrifying (seeing my future) to read! Here's hoping you find joy in all those little things that make Jasper unique, and comfort in knowing that ALL children march to the beat of their own drum.

Becca Groves said...

bwahahahahaha. You kill me. Everytime.