Tuesday, July 17, 2012

a hammock

Two years ago Matt and I got in the car to drive north. His grad school friends were having a yard games tournament in Alexandria and we were due for some washer toss and bags.

But I was crabby and tired and highly emotional. I couldn't unplug from a bad work day and Matt finally told me to, "Reign in the hormones so we could have a good time."

We stopped at the Walmart in Sauk Centre where I bought a generic pregnancy test and two bags of beef jerky. (Classy.) I took one test on the way up, but was convinced it said NO. "That like the line where the line's supposed to be," I confirmed in the car. Then I ate a bag of beef jerky and bucked up for the weekend ahead.

We had a great time and ended up breaking the hammock, which was caught on film. When we got home, I took another test. Still hazy. So I ate the other bag of beef jerky. It was time to pull out the big bucks and get one of those fancy digital ones I'd said was, "for dummies who can't read a stick" a few days earlier.


Turns out I was a dummy. And pregnant. And now, two years later, Jasper joined us at the yard games tournament. In anticipation of the Olympic Games, we all sported costumes for a country of choice. Matt and I figured our chances were right in line with Sweden and Norway (summer games, not winter) and compromised on dressing as Scandinavia. (Our Viking hats got a little warm and were ditched early on.) Jasper joined us in the hammock and we didn't collapse this time around. Still, it's been nicknamed the Baby Hammock. If you lie in it, people yell, "Don't get pregnant!" But people didn't need that reminder. Bringing a toddler to a yard games tournament is birth control enough.

Happy Hammock Birthday, Jasper!


3 comments:

val said...

lovely. love, Val

Unknown said...

Love absolutely everything about this post :) Miss you guys lots!!

Unknown said...

oops...that's from Kjersten!