Monday, January 23, 2012

Spirit Words

Together with pastors and churches in transition everywhere, I pray for the people of St. John's and the people of Zion and all people beloved by those who serve them, those who say goodbye and say hello.

God of courage, you are brave in working through people like us. You call neighbors and strangers together despite our shortcomings and differences, inviting us to worship and serve for the sake of something much bigger than ourselves. You pull us off our phones and laptops and garmins and things that fool us into thinking life is only about what we want. You give us words to speak in unison and they make us stronger. You give us liturgy that gets inside our bodies, becoming unforgettable, incarnational and transformational. Your are tricky and we are grateful. Lord, in your mercy...

God of grace, you have called us together as the body of Christ so our lives can get tangled up with you and tangled up with each other. You are the reason I see other people. You are the reason I care. You are the reason life is both complicated and wonderful. Thank you for getting me mixed up with your saints at St. John's. They have showed me Christ and helped me believe. Lord, in your mercy...

God of hope, as I pack up my office and make plans to move up the street, my heart is filled with dreams for this congregation I love so much. My prayers for them sound desperate and childish. I might as well end each petition with, "pretty please" because I desire all kinds of life and joy for them in the years ahead. So love them, nourish them, make them bold and help them follow you in brand new ways...pretty please. Lord, in your mercy...

God of trust, you are silly. You know I get all wound up and then I get nervous and then I get confident and then the jokes on me. Every time. Thank you for sending me up the street even though I'm scared and naive and ever so flawed. Thank you for preparing another place for me to serve and learn and grow. Thank you for the people of Zion and their fervent faith. Thank you for teasing me while you equip me, for stretching me while I try to trust. Guide us as we come together for something brand new and plenty of things old, too. Lord, in your mercy...

God of love, I'm no Simon or Andrew. I am too neurotic to drop my nets and follow immediately. Instead I discern slowly and loudly. I get bossy and worried, but then I get around to it. At some point, your call trumps all my stuff. So thank you for sticking around and being stubborn every.single.time. Thank you for chasing me like you chase Jonah and for deciding I'm good for something that has to do with your Good Something. That kind of love turns my debates and discerning into, "Sure. Why not?" Lord, in your mercy...

I commend all of these prayers and so many more into your hands because they do no good buried deep in my heart. They want out. They want to bend your holy ear. They want you to change the world or, at the very least, change me. Amen.

1 comment:

val said...

Yeah, well. I am with you. love, Val